£Negotiable, Full Benefits & Bonus
Our Client; a truly global leader in the manufacture of Specialist Vehicles and Survivability systems are experiencing enormous growth. It is for this reason that we have been tasked with recruiting a Senior Materials Controller for their Supply Chain department. The position is available on a permanent basis and the successful candidate will be remunerated with a competitive salary in addition to a full benefits package and company-wide bonus scheme.
The Senior Material Controller (SMC) provides accountability for the management of their materials management activities ensuring delivery against agreed budgets and performance objectives. The role has direct control of the materials that fall within the given commodity as well as management of the relationships and performance of the suppliers.
They support the Outsourcing team to develop and deliver a supplier & category management strategy in support of the company’s operational and strategic objectives.
The key focus of this role is to manage the day to day supply chain activities, ensuring suppliers are delivering as per agreement to a production plan. The SMC will effectively manage key stakeholders internal and external to JAL. This will be delivered in part, through effective supply chain planning and supplier relationship management. Managing a significant amount of JAL turnover, this role is key to the organisation’s performance, having full ownership of each supplier’s performance and the level of inventory held against their commodity.
- Take responsibility for the management of ERP demand and supply of the given commodity.
- Be considered the subject matter expert for your commodity, to support the Outsource team with supplier selection.
- Support and mentor the Material Controllers within the team.
- Act as a proxy in absence of the Materials Manager.
- Working alongside the Production Planning team, schedule material in to support the build plan, and at the same time maintain optimal inventory levels.
- Support the Outsourcing team to develop a robust category strategy including policies and procedures in support of the business objectives.
- Maintain an organised open order book.
- In conjunction with the SQA team, ensure that non-confirming material is returned to the supplier, and replacements are issued.
- Broad range of supply chain skills focused on: Negotiation, technical understanding, supplier management, risk and opportunity management.
- Preparation, validation and scheduling of purchase orders to achieve the appropriate level of material availability by providing a stable and optimised flow to meet the Master Production Schedule or equivalent plan.
- Identify deviations from the requirement plan, take remedial action as necessary to achieve conformance or minimise the necessity for rescheduling.
- Maintain lead time and re-order level information in the appropriate system.
- For each PO being managed by the materials controller, ensure appropriate supplier relationship management and performance management techniques are employed in order to ensure the delivery of the conforming procured item on time and in full.
- Expedite all open orders to ensure on-time delivery, alerting stakeholders to threats of non-performance and updating systems as necessary.
- Support the assessment and appraisal of new and existing suppliers.
- Implement the preparation and management of reviews with relevant suppliers.
- Escalate to, and work with the Outsource team to ensure that supplier issues do not impact production.
- Co-ordinate all invoice and accounts queries relating to purchase orders to assist the orderly flow of cash and ensure on-time payment to the suppliers.
- Create robust recovery plans for suppliers that are in a backlog of deliveries.
- Perform ad hoc tasks in support of the overall procurement strategy.
- Seek continual improvement, especially in relation to reducing costs and maintaining stock at an optimised level.
Essential Experience & Qualifications
- CIPS Professional Diploma qualified or equivalent preferred.
- Extensive experience of strategic sourcing in the vehicle, engineering and production environment.
- Strong negotiator.
- Able to manage demanding external and internal stakeholders.
- Experience of multi-site purchasing requirements.
- Familiarity with defence procurement and commercial sales processes.
Please Note: Due to the nature of the client and the role, all applicants must be eligible for Security Clearance. Applicants must be a British Passport holder or have previously held SC clearance.
To APPLY, please contact Luke McDaid, Principal Consultant with Forbes HR Ltd who is available on:
Telephone: 01295 768360
Mobile: 07731 079966
Forbes HR Ltd is committed to equal opportunities.